Competion and Consumer Act 2010
The Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (CCA) is the central piece of legislation relevant to Australian advertising, and covers the relationships between suppliers, wholesalers, retailers and customers. Its purpose is to promote fair trading and competition, and provide protections to customers. (Download Fact Sheet)
AANA Code of Ethics
The AANA Code of Ethics is the cornerstone of the advertising self-regulatory system, and is supported by advertisers, media agencies, creative agencies and media owners across Australia. It applies to any medium as per its definition. The Code is supplemented by a number of product-specific codes, and is underpinned by an independent complaints handling system administered by Ad Standards.
Ad Standards & The Community Panel
Ad Standards administers the AANA’s national system of self-regulation, and manages the complaints resolution process. Ad Standards functions as the secretariat for the AdStandards Community Panel and the AdStandards Industry Jury – two independent bodies established to determine consumer and competitor complaints against the AANA Codes.
PRODUCT & AUDIENCE SPECIFIC CODES
- Therepeutic Goods Advertising Code (for all products)
- TGA Advertising Hub
- Medicines Australia Code of Conduct (for prescription medicine)
- GBMA Code of Practice (for generic medicine)
- MTAA Code of Practice (for medical devices)
Channel Specific Codes
- Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) Standards, Guidelines & Best Practice
- ACA Best Practice Guide – Social Media and Online Commentary Code of Conduct